Monday, June 4, 2012

TO TEXT OR NOT TO TEXT

Since the dawn of technology we have found ways to do it smarter, faster, and without having to lift a finger. We voice speak into our phones, we text and swipe text, we skype, and email. Dead is the day of human contact or REAL conversation.. I remember laughing at watching Sex in the City and Carrie being dumped by a "Post it" note...lol.. now you can view a break up on youtube or on a picture of  a text thread from an IPHONE....

I am not a fan of the official text conversation.. you know when its no longer, just answering a question, but is a full conversation.. usually your phone has to convert to a multimedia message because your characters have gone above 160. ( at least twitter minimizes it to 75 characters)  take a mental note serial texter's  I still want conversation.,..emails, and text messages leave the interpretation up in the air. No on knows the tone or what the person meant.  I can't begin to tell you how many arguments I have been in with family and friends over something said in a text...(ohhh, and do not mess up and type in ALL CAPS) who said that doing that meant your screaming or yelling... could it not have been that I simply left my caps lock on by mistake?

HERE'S THE TEA: A couple of months ago I went against all that was "common sense" and went out with a guy 10 years younger than me,,SMDH.. The first time we met up he was coming from playing basketball, ok, ill let that one go, but I figured if you knew you were coming to see me, you would want to look your best.. I find out in our conversation, that basketball shorts and wife beaters are his favorite thing to wear.....SMDH...(turn off #1) as the days went on he always wanted to text a conversation. By this time I had explained my dislike for this type of conversation, but he continued (turn off #2) after 2 weeks of me ignoring his text messages, he got the point and started to call. after a couple more days of maintaining military silence I answered the phone and realized why he prefers to text............Brother could not hold a conversation if Jesus was coaching him. (Turn off #3) and he was OUT!!!!!

What I then realized was that text messaging is almost like throwing a rock from a distance and ducking.  People can say what they want, with out worrying how they sound or even if they can spell( thank you text abbreviations) We as a society have basically said.. "ahh, to hell" with human communication I can just text,

Me, I am raging against text conversations.. I want people to talk to me. I want to hear the tone behind the words so I can form the right reaction or opinion of what your saying.. SPEAK TO ME,!!! I don't want LOL, can i hear you LAUGH?.............

3 comments:

  1. OMG, finally a sister that understands COMPLETELY and my all caps is just an emphasis on what's real. I hate text messages too. When you text more than you call it says too me that you don't have the time because you not interested in hearing the inflection in my voice or my concern. I hear you baby girl, call me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I like to text because sometimes I dont want a long convo.... I can br short and sweet. Say what I have to say and get off, done. ijs

    ReplyDelete